Friday, August 15, 2008

Our last night in the "suite"

It's our last official night in the hotel "suite" at Zakosciele Youth Center. So sad. I have to admit, however, that I'm ready for some space. Because they are renting out the camp to a group next week, we will be staying at Crozier's home tomorrow til Monday when we fly out at noon. When we got back from our stay in Warsaw today, we began packing up our stuff. We've got one big bag of dirty laundry. I just decided that it wasn't worth trying to wash it all up and bank on it all drying before we left. It's weird having all the luggage out and around the room. I also can't wait for the luxury of having a dryer again!!

So, Warsaw in the evening is beautiful. When we got up to Warsaw, we went into the Old Town for supper. We ate at the best peroigi (totally butchered the spelling!) place. The girls loved it as well. We walked around and Maui gave us some good pieces of history. Maui has a particular love for the girls. It's so cute. He took them for ice cream and cookies near their home while we enjoyed some relaxing on their back porch before we went into Old Town. On Saturday, we went down to where the Embassies are located. There is a HUGE, beautiful, old park located near there. It was a park that was for the kings. There are beautiful old stone summer homes still standing. We eventually found a "park" with playground equipment on one corner of the park. We made it into a treasure hunt for the girls while we walked and walked! It was beautiful and sunny... and a bit warm. Thankfully there are lots of trees which made the walking that much cooler. It was so peaceful (minus Lauren whining that she couldn't walk anymore!!!).

I appreciated the time with Maui and Ewa. I learned some more basics in Polish (grammar stuff, and wow...there's a lot to remember!!) with Ewa on our ride home and Josh heard some really neat stories from Maui.

I wanted to post for my brother, the meteorologist, that there was a tornado in Katowice (near Krakow, so in southern Poland) today. This is unheard of, so big news. We had a big storm brew in this evening as well, but nothing like what they had. So Brent, perhaps you've already heard of the tornado in Poland! I have been quite surprised with all the nasty storms they've had here this summer. Why don't you check into all of that?!!

So there is a river that runs along the camp. I don't see people fishing in the river around the camp, but I've noticed people fishing in other places along the river when we drive to Tomascow. So, unfortunately, no "fishing" in Poland for me. I did see someone use a fishing pole in a skit here, so maybe someone on staff does?!!

The girls have indeed had a summer like no other! I think they'll miss their freedom of running around the camp with who knows who! Every time I see them their with different friends (counselors and campers and children of the staff). They will most certainly miss the snack shack, but I won't miss the "snack shack is open, can we go?!!! They've learned some Polish songs and English ones, which will be fun to teach others! I know it's been fun for the staff to have two little girls running around and they'll certainly be missed....until next year!!

Time to go to bed and get some rest before saying goodbye to room 101!

1 comment:

brent said...

No...didn't hear of the tornado. Polish news that made the states from what I can tell is the US-Poland agreement to put an interceptor base on Poland's soil. Have a safe trip back and look forward to the stories. You owe me Afghanistan stories as well.