Friday, July 11, 2008

Wrapping up the week...


Tomorrow the campers will be heading home and we'll have a brief day of rest before the next crew of campers come. It was a fun day to end the week. We just returned from a night walk, which put our girls "out" (they climbed into bed and are sleeping like angels!). It didn't rain at all today and the temperature was much warmer. We all went swimming at the beach (have I ever mentioned there's a river that runs along the camp and a nice sandy beach?!) this afternoon and then got the kids ready for the banquet.

I have to highlight the banquet. This is something they have done from the beginning of camps. I remember it back in 1998. You have to understand that matchmaking is a hobby here... they LOVE to matchmake, which is (what I assume to be) why they encourage kids to take "dates" to the banquet. No matter if you have a date or not, everyone is "suppose to" get dressed up (for guys, cleaned up!). So instead of the afternoon club time of stamping (which I helped with all week), I helped all these little girls get all dolled up. I can't french braid hair for the life of me, so I brushed hair to get them ready for a girl to do their hair. There were tables set up with all kinds of nail polish and make-up (we encourage light application!). It was all very cute. Kaylor and Lauren got to get all dressed up as their good friend, Tomek (picture from yesterday and I'll post one of them from the banquet as well) asked both girls to the banquet. You should've seen us proud parents sitting with them... chaperoning their "1st date". Tomek made his mom bring them flowers (which she dutifully took from their home!).

Kaylor and Lauren with their date, Tomek.

Their last evening worship followed the banquet. It was a very special evening with girls doing some songs. I was very impressed from the talent show last night and then to the talent displayed through worship tonight. The staff of the camp here do a great job in providing as much opportunity as possible to highlight campers. I think everyone desires to be known for something good, and children (the same in America and Poland I've seen) are so vulnerable to feeling they aren't "good enough" or have anything to offer. There was a question posted on the blog that I asked around today. I had an idea of what the answer would be and wasn't surprised of what I found out. The question asked was on the number of children that come from faith-based homes. If you know the history of Poland, you know that the official religion is (and has been) Catholicism. During the rule of communism, about 90-97 % of the population attended Catholic church. This was mainly because the people used church to rebel against communism as it was often preached on and against during mass (political ones, not spiritual). After communism fell in 1989, the percentage of people who went to church dropped to 60%. There is a huge difference between "going or attending" church to living and working out your faith or going because you want and desire to.

So today, we're talking that approximately 75-80 % of the campers coming in these camps come from either no church background or just "going" to church out of tradition, not desire or need. For most of the kids, they are hearing the Gospel message (a message that communicates God accepts you right where you are and you don't have to work or earn your way to heaven & found in a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.) for the very first time. I count it a privilege to be but a small part in what God is doing here! Thanks for the question! I hoped I answered it clearly!

No comments: